Nylon straps are commonly shortened to fit different wrist sizes, especially Nylon straps. Since most Nylon straps are made out of nylon and polyester, shortening the strap can be easily done at home.
This tutorial is intended to help guide you through some basic steps for how to shorten your nylon strap. We are using our seatbelt strap as an example, but any straps made of nylon would work.
What you need:
- A Pair of Scissors
- Two Loonies
- Two Binder Clips
- A Lighter
This is how our unmodified seatbelt strap look like when tucked into the keeper.
This is how it looks after it is shortened. With some trimming and sealing the excess bulk of the strap can be removed, resulting in a slimmer profile. Some prefer one look over the other. Next will be the steps on how to shorten a nylon strap.
1. Measure where to cut. I counted the number of holes that passed the keeper and kept a mental note of where I wanted the strap to end.
2. Secure the trimming area with two loonies. Aline the top of the loonies with were you want to end your strap. The loonies act as a guide to shape the end of your strap - you can use something else if you want a different shape.
3. Make sure to centre the coin so that the strap will look even on both sides
4. Use a binder clip to secure the position of the coin. (Or you can use a vise-grip as one of our readers has suggested via Email).
5. Take the pins out so they do not obstruct your view while trimming.
6. Trim around the coin with a pair of scissors. Your scissors need to be sharp to ensure a clean cut.
7. Seal the edges with a lighter so the strap doesn't fray. The clips may be removed after.
8. To have a thoroughly sealed end, move the coins down a millimetre and heat the end again. This provides a greater surface area for the heat to bond the fabric that may potentially fray.
Here is a before (left) and after (right) comparison
This is a quick and easy way to change the look of your Nylon strap. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email us or leave a message below.
Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?